Monday, August 3, 2009

1st Doctor Visit & Back to Work

Sorta,

I went to the doctor this morning to get a status update and to review my surgery pictures. I am doing pretty well, but it's all just guesswork at this point. No MRI or anything else is really going to reveal how well or poorly I am healing. Only pain (or lack thereof) or another scope will reveal what is really going on.

As for milestones, I came up with a few. I can currently do all of my knee exercises with very little problem except for one. Knee bends...those are extremely painful. My target is to get to 70 at a time (I did about 5 or 6 at most). Another milestone is to get off the CPM machine - that date is September 1st. The last milestone is to visit the doctor again - which will take place on September 14th. So, I have my work cut out for me...time to get at it!!

Now, back to the pictures. They were mind blowing to say the least (I will try and get them posted soon). It is hard to believe such a small amount of damage could cause so much pain and discomfort. The doc found 4 loose bodies floating around in my knee, each of which were between 1/2 and 1 centimeter in length (close to the length of a finger nail). You can also see the exposed bone where the cartilage was missing and the tiny holes he drilled in each of the areas that were damaged. You can even see the blood flowing out of the holes (hopefully these create some nice fibrocartilage). Last, you can see the cartilage on the good side of my knee - smooth and clean. I can only pray I end up with something like that in the damaged areas. Success rates are between 75-80%. But, if one small part doesn't fill in, I may be back in for another procedure. Only time will tell, so keep your fingers crossed.

For now, I am just keeping positive, doing the rehab and following doctor's orders. I can only control what I can control...nature will take care of the rest. Hopefully I have some good karma saved up.

Oh yeah, I have to start working from home this week before going into the office next week. At least that should keep me from losing my mind!!

Time for some knee bends...

No comments:

Post a Comment