Wednesday, August 12, 2009

2 Weeks - and finally have my head straight!!!!!

Today is a good day:

I have made it through my first two weeks. Life is good and the knee is feeling pretty good all things considered. Yes, it is still sore in the morning, and yes, it is still stiff at night. But, my range of motion is excellent compared to what it was when I first came out of surgery. More importantly, my mind set is exactly where it needs to be.

Basically, it's like this. I can only control what I can control. My knee is going to hurt, it's going to be stiff, it's going to be uncomfortable. I can't control that. I got really down on myself last week because it wasn't getting better like a sprained ankle or broken finger. But, I realized that dwelling on the negative wasn't going to do me any good. So, I have neither the time nor the inclination to let this bring me down again. I am on the right path...I just to do what I can for myself to help with the healing process. That means 8 hours a day on the CPM machine (only 6 days left on that!!!) and 200+ reps of four different leg exercises. That is what I can control and that is what I am focused on. And yes, for me, it really is that simple. Do my work to make my knee better and stop worry about the rest.

Anyway, one milestone down and two more approaching quickly - CPM machine goes back next Tuesday, which will also mark my 3rd week of recovery!!

Time to stay focused.

5 comments:

  1. Amen to staying focused. I gotta do the same.

    Question: What's your range of motion like? I can't really go much past 90 degrees. No CPM for me - just stationary cycling.

    Just want to compare progress, even though I know it varies from person to person.

    Thanks,

    James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there,

    I am not sure how you are measuring your range of motion. My CPM machine is set to 90 degrees, which is basically my femur perpendicular to my chest at a 90 degree angle and then my tibia and fibula at a 90 degree angle to my femur. When I am off the machine and doing knee bends, I can bring my left leg (where I had the surgery) back towards my chest pretty close to what I can do with my right leg (which has never been injured).

    The range of motion has really increased over the past week. In addition, I am doing over 200 knee bends a day and really pushing myself to bend my knee as much as I can even if it is painful/uncomfortable. That is the advice my doctor gave me with the reasoning that it will help prevent scar tissue and better prepare me to walk when the time comes. I am not sure if your doc gave you the same advice as far as pushing yourself, so be sure to double check.

    I will try and see if I can take a picture so that you can better see what I mean. Anyway, I hope this helps.

    Take care,

    Zach

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Zach. I can bring my knee to my chest as far as my uninjured leg as well. But I can't bend by tibia beyond 90 degrees in relation to my femur in anyposition. Thats why I'm a little concerned. I'm just not sure if that's normal. I wasn't told to push it in terms of knee bends. In fact, it sounds like my rehab regiment is much less intensive compared to you and others that have had MF. I think I'm going to call my doc tomorrow and just confirm that I'm doing everything that I'm supposed to.

    Best,

    James O

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey James,

    Stay positive and check with the doc. One reason I may have a better range of motion is because my surgery was on the lateral side of the femur and yours was on the medial side (I think).

    Also, are you doing your knee bends with a wrap on? I found that really limited my range of motion. I do mine while sitting down (kind of like those weird bikes that are really low to the ground) or when I am laying on my back. How are you doing yours?

    I would definitely check with the doc and see what he says. But, I wouldn't do anything without checking first. That is the hardest part of this whole thing - just being patient and not expecting definitive changes from a day to day basis. Look at how you were doing last week compared to this week. Look at how you were doing the day after surgery compared to today. Then you will see a difference. It's hard not to look at yesterday and think, "it's worse than yesterday"...but don't do that. It is a slow process and you just have to be patient.

    Anyway, let me know what the doc says.

    Stay positive!!!

    Zach

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Zac. That's great advice. Yeah, mine was on the medial side. I'm doing knee bends the same way, mostly on my back. You're totally right about not looking at progress day to day. It's so hard not to, but it's very frustrating if I do.

    Have a great weekend,

    James O.

    ReplyDelete